- Why Use Coffee Scales?
- Top 10 Coffee Scales For Coffee Lover Reviews
- #1 Amazon Basics Coffee Scale For Espresso – Best Overall
- #2 Ozeri Pronto Coffee Scale For French Press – Best Budget
- #3 Etekcity EK4150 Coffee Scale For Travel – Best Value
- #4 OXO Good Grips Coffee Scale For Gaggia Classic Pro
- #5 Etekcity EK8060 Coffee Scale
- #6 Etekcity EK6015 Coffee Scale For The Money
- #7 Etekcity Luminary EKS-L221 Coffee Scale With Timer
- #8 Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale For Pour Over Coffee
- #9 Ozeri Touch Professional Coffee Scale
- #10 Etekcity EK5250 Coffee Scale
- How To Choose Coffee Scales
- FAQs about Coffee Scales
If you’re a discerning coffee drinker, chances are that you’ve gone to great lengths to make the perfect cup. From spending hundreds of dollars on a single-serve coffee maker to grinding your beans at home before every brew, you probably put a lot of time and effort into enjoying a nice cup of coffee.
But did you know that there’s one other thing that can take your morning pick-me-up to the next level? A coffee scale is one of the best investments you can make if you want to be sure that every cup of joe tastes just as good as the last.
A coffee scale offers an element of precision that’s hard to achieve with traditional methods. These handy gadgets allow you to measure how much coffee and water you use for each batch, ensuring that every cup contains exactly the right amount of beans and liquids. That way, your java will taste exactly how you want it every time!
Why Use Coffee Scales?
Weighing your coffee and water is the most important step for manual brewing. The easiest way to do that is to use a coffee scale.
A coffee scale is used in the brewing process to measure the coffee and water you use for brewing. This gives you more control over the taste of your brew than simply winging it with a teaspoon or eyeballing your pour-over device.
When you weigh your ingredients, you have a lot more control over the final product. You can use a smaller ratio of coffee to water for stronger brews, or scale up to make larger batches (or if you’re having friends over).
If you’re planning on taking pour-over seriously, get yourself a scale and follow some recipes online. Once you’ve got the basics down, experiment with varying ratios until you find what’s right for you.
Top 10 Coffee Scales For Coffee Lover Reviews
#1 Amazon Basics Coffee Scale For Espresso – Best Overall
The Amazon Basics Coffee Scale has a detachable raised platform, allowing for larger coffee cups and mugs to be used with the scale. The scale is capable of weighing up to 11 pounds (or 5 kilograms).
The digital display is easy to read and features a timer. This helps in timing your coffee for the optimal brew time. With the tare functionality, you can also subtract the weight of your mug or container from the total weight. The scale comes with 2 AAA batteries.
What we liked:
- Amazon Basics Coffee Scale with LCD Display
- Scale measures in 0.1-ounce or 1-gram increments for accurate portioning
- Made of stainless steel for durability and easy cleaning; sleek silver color
- Use the scale to measure coffee beans, spices, nuts, flour, and other ingredients
- Weigh items directly on the platform or in a bowl/container; includes tare function
#2 Ozeri Pronto Coffee Scale For French Press – Best Budget
The Pronto is a newly enlarged weighing platform for bigger jobs in the kitchen, and even greater accuracy when weighing smaller quantities. The Ozeri Pronto Pronto Coffee Scale is made for the culinary perfectionist who desires superior accuracy in function and sleekness in form. Designed to be highly accurate, easy-to-use, and read, the Pronto incorporates the latest generation in sensor technology to ensure accurate measurements from 0.05 oz to 11.24 lbs (1 gram to 5100 grams).
The Ozeri Pronto is built with the latest generation of sensor technology to read weights in increments of 0.05 oz or 1 gram, which ensures items are weighed with utmost precision. With an enlarged platform made for larger items and a greater weighing capacity of up to 11.24 lbs, the Ozeri Pronto is perfect for use around the kitchen as well as other environments such as offices, mail rooms and nurseries.
What we liked:
- Large platform for bigger jobs & greater weighing capacity.
- Precise measurements with 0.05 oz/1g increments (up to 11.24 lbs).
- Bright, large, easy-to-read LCD display with digital weight readout of up to 3 decimal points.
- Antimicrobial Protection: Microban antimicrobial protection inhibits the growth of stain and odor causing bacteria.
- Impact resistant tempered glass surface is durable and allows easy cleaning.
#3 Etekcity EK4150 Coffee Scale For Travel – Best Value
The Etekcity EK4150 Coffee Scale is your best bet for accurate measurements. It features a sleek, stylish design and state-of-the-art technology that makes it the perfect addition to your kitchen.
It is equipped with high precision strain gauge sensors that can weigh up to 11 lbs or 5 kgs in 0.04 oz or 1 g increments. The scale’s smooth glass surface is easy to clean and maintain, while its stainless steel platform provides a long lasting and durable solution for daily weighing needs.
Its room temperature sensor and alarm timer are ideal for cooking and baking purposes as they allow you to keep track of the current room temperature, while also keeping you updated on how much time is left during food preparation processes.
What we liked:
- It features a high precision strain gauge sensor system that can weigh up to 11 lbs (5kg)
- With a sleek tempered glass platform and 3 slim round buttons, the scale is durable and easy to clean.
- The Room Temperature Sensor provides you with the temperature reading of any room or surface you place it on.
- It also has the Alarm Timer while cooking or baking to remind you when your food is ready.
#4 OXO Good Grips Coffee Scale For Gaggia Classic Pro
The OXO Good Grips Coffee Scale with Pull-Out Display features a stainless steel surface with a removable platform. The unique pull-out display prevents shadowing from large plates and bowls. A digital screen is located on the front of the scale for an easy read, and a zero function allows you to tare out any plate or bowl. The scale is equipped with an easy-to-grip handle and has a maximum capacity of 11 pounds/5 kilograms.
When it’s time to clean up, the platform lifts away for easy cleaning. Use the scale to measure ingredients for favorite recipes, or to portion out meals for weight loss or other dietary needs.
The OXO Better Guarantee: If you experience an issue with your OXO product, get in touch with us for a repair or replacement. We’re grateful for the opportunity to learn from your experience, and we’ll make it better.
What we liked:
- The Scale provides accurate measurements from 0.1 oz./1 g increments all the way up to 11 lbs.,
- The built-in timer allows you to time your extraction for pour-over coffee and automating on/off functions for drip coffee makers.
- A large backlit LCD display is easy to read from any angle, even in dim lighting
- A removable platform makes cleanup a breeze.
- When not in use, the Scale’s display pulls out for protection and slides neatly back underneath after use.
#5 Etekcity EK8060 Coffee Scale
The Etekcity EK8060 Coffee Scale is an upgraded version of the previous model. It comes with new sensors that improve its weight capacity, LCD display size and other features. The scale’s capacity has been upgraded from 6 kg to 11 lbs (176 oz) which means it can now accommodate larger amounts of coffee beans and water.
It has a convenient size that allows you to place your cup on top of it and also take measurements at the same time. The weight capacity is also sufficient for making small adjustments during the brewing process.
The scale also comes with a timer function allowing you to set a target weight before brewing starts in order to achieve more precise results. This feature is useful when you need to make small adjustments during the brewing process such as adding or removing some water or even changing beans without affecting your final brew time too much.
What we liked:
- This scale features a weight capacity of 176 oz / 11 lb, and an accuracy of 0.1 oz / 1 gm.
- With a convenient size, you can easily store this kitchen scale anywhere in your kitchen or carry it with you to the market.
- The upgraded sensors provide you with instant and accurate results from 0.1 oz to 11 lbs (1 g to 5 kg).
- The LCD display is backlit, making it easy to read in all lighting situations.
#6 Etekcity EK6015 Coffee Scale For The Money
The Etekcity EK6015 Coffee Scale is a great companion for those who enjoy baking and cooking. With the ability to weigh items up to 5kg (11lbs) in 1g or 0.1oz increments, you can rest assured you’ll be able to accurately weigh out all your ingredients.
The tare function allows you to zero out the weight of containers, so you’re not paying for the costs of the container itself. The scale’s sleek stainless steel design and large LCD display are easy to clean and look great on any countertop.
The scale is equipped with high precision sensors that ensure accurate measurements time after time. The auto off feature helps preserve battery life while the low battery indicator lets you know when it’s time to change the batteries in your scale.
What we liked:
- Ultra-thin Design – A sleek, modern design with stainless steel body makes this scale the perfect addition to any kitchen or home!
- High-Precision Weight – The scale allows for precise measurement of liquids and solids up to 11 lbs (5kg) in graduation increments of 0.1 oz (1g).
- Tare Function – This feature allows you to subtract the weight of any container from the total weight in order to determine net weight.
- Versatile Design – This versatile digital scale is not only useful in your kitchen, but can also be used as a letter scale.
#7 Etekcity Luminary EKS-L221 Coffee Scale With Timer
Designed for the coffee and tea lover, the Etekcity Luminary EKS-L221 Coffee Scale is a high-precision scale that ensures the most accurate results. Its waterproof design makes it ideally suited for wet environments like kitchens and washrooms. Its max capacity of 22lb/10kg makes it ideal for weighing items of a variety of sizes. The maximum resolution of 0.1g means that you get an accurate measurement every time.
The rechargeable battery is environmentally friendly and provides up to 18 hours of continuous use with a single charge, ensuring that you don’t ever have to worry about replacing batteries again. With its tare feature, you are able to reset the current weight on the scales to zero, allowing you to measure multiple items or subtract the weight of a container from the final weight.
The backlit LCD display is bright and easy to read even in dim lighting conditions. This scale is perfect for all those who are passionate about their food and drink!
What we liked:
- Waterproof Design: IPX6 waterproof rating makes the scale easy to clean and maintain.
- Made from durable stainless steel and tempered glass, the Luminary scale is built to last.
- Max Capacity: Heavy as 22lb/10kg with accuracy as 0.1g/0.005oz; Suitable for both home and commercial use.
- Tare Function: subtracts a container’s weight to obtain the weight of its contents
- Built-in Timer – Built-in timer gives you full control on all stages of your brewing
- Batteries Included: Lasts up to 60 hours. Rechargeable lithium-ion battery, USB cable included in the package.
#8 Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale For Pour Over Coffee
The Hario V60 Drip Coffee Scale is an iconic pour-over dripper. It’s made from glass and features a conical shape that allows for optimal water flow throughout the brewing process. The tiny dimples on the interior of the V60 allow you to pour directly into the filter, this helps to prevent over-extraction.
It is the ultimate accessory for your Hario V60 setup. This scale is designed specifically for pour-over brewers, but it can also be used with other manual brewing devices or as a regular kitchen scale.
With this scale you will have superior control over your pour-over coffee brewing technique. This allows you to get more consistent and predictable results in every cup of coffee you brew at home or in your coffee shop.
What we liked:
- With the slim design you get a compact scale that can fit into even the most crowded kitchen.
- The decreased start up times allow for you to decrease the time it takes to start brewing your coffee, which means you get your cup of joe in less time.
- The highest precision guarantees that every cup of coffee will be brewed correctly.
#9 Ozeri Touch Professional Coffee Scale
The Ozeri Touch Professional Coffee Scale with Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection is the world’s first kitchen scale to incorporate Microban Antimicrobial Product Protection into its platform. Microban protection works continuously for the lifetime of the product to inhibit the growth of stain and odor-causing bacteria on the scale. Designed for the ultimate in style, convenience and function, the Ozeri Touch features a refined, modern aesthetic that compliments any kitchen decor.
The Ozeri Touch incorporates a new generation in sensor technology to ensure accuracy and immediate responses for the fast-paced chef. The Ozeri Touch’s decorative glass top surface is 4 times stronger than normal glass and is both stain-resistant and easy-to-clean. The Ozeri Touch also features a newly enlarged weighing platform finished in elegant chrome, which accommodates large bowls and food items with ease.
The Ozeri Touch Professional Digital Kitchen Scale also includes a built-in timer for perfect timing when cooking or bakery.
What we liked:
- The features a highly accurate GFX sensor system that delivers accurate measurements from 0.05 oz to 12 lbs (1 gram to 5.4 kg).
- It features a newly enlarged weighing platform finished in elegant chrome and 2 large buttons.
- Its Precision Tare feature automatically subtracts the container weight to obtain the weight of its contents
- It has 4 high precision weighing sensors that ensure accuracy within .05 oz or 1 gram.
- With the newly enlarged stainless steel platform and fingerprint resistant coating, cleanup is easy.
#10 Etekcity EK5250 Coffee Scale
The Etekcity EK5250 Coffee Scale that is designed and built with coffee weighing in mind. The scale is accurate to 0.1g meaning it can weigh your coffee to the nearest tenth of a gram every time. This promotes consistency and reproducibility in your coffee making routine.
As well as being accurate, this scale has a huge load capacity of 2000 grams and features a large back-lit display to help you see what’s on the scale in any lighting condition. The design of this coffee scale is made for weighing out coffee grounds and water and comes with a detachable drip tray that collects any overflow from your coffee making equipment. This makes it easy to clean up after each brew.
For all of these reasons, we think the Etekcity EK5250 is one of the best scales for brewing coffee at home or at work right now, especially since it costs so little money!
What we liked:
- Large display that allows you to see all the details at once
- Large capacity of 2000g, which is more than any other home scale we have seen.
- Detachable drip tray to help collect and catch any overflow from your coffee equipment.
- Accurate, balanced weights that measure down to 0.1g.
- Easy to use design with a stepped or incremental button for adjustments.
- Highly durable construction designed for the long life that won’t easily break even if dropped.
How To Choose Coffee Scales
A good coffee scale is key for getting good results when brewing coffee. There are a lot of options out there, but these are the main things to consider:
- Accuracy and resolution: The scale needs to be accurate (i.e. consistent with itself) and precise (i.e. ability to measure small differences). The two terms are often confused – it’s worth reading this guide if you’re unsure. For coffee scales you need both. If the scale can’t tell the difference between 20g and 30g of coffee then you’ll have trouble getting consistent results. The same goes if it is inaccurate, e.g. if it’s always out by 5g or 10g then it will be hard to dial in your grind setting because you won’t know how much coffee is actually in the basket. If a scale doesn’t give an accuracy rating then assume that it’s somewhere between useless and dangerous!
- Timing: You should be able to time the pour as well as weighing the coffee and water separately. Some scales have a separate timer which still means using two pieces of equipment rather than one integrated device, so look for those which have this function built in.
- Capacity: Most scales have a max capacity of 2000g, which is fine for most home brewers. If you use a larger brewer like the Chemex or Clever, you might want something with a 3000g capacity.
- Readability/tare: Look for scales with large numbers and good contrast, so they’re easy to read in low light conditions. I also prefer scales that tare automatically (so you don’t have to press the button) and have a timer built in (so you don’t have to start your timer separately).
FAQs about Coffee Scales
1. What does a coffee scale measure?
A coffee scale is used to weigh coffee beans and ground coffee. It can also be used to measure water. However, the most important thing that a coffee scale measures is the extraction yield of coffee. This is how much of the coffee bean that dissolves into the water when it is brewed.
2. How do you measure coffee with a scale?
To measure coffee with a scale, you need to know what weight of coffee beans you will use and what ratio of water you will use for brewing. You also need to know how much water and how many beans you need for your desired brew size. Once you have these measurements, you can set up your scale, put your portafilter on the drip tray, pour in your grounds and zero out the weight. Then pour in your hot water until you reach your desired ratio or brew size.
3. Are coffee scales worth the cost?
While coffee scales are a relatively low-cost investment, they are some of the most important tools in a home barista’s arsenal. A scale can help prevent over or under extraction, as well as improve consistency. And when you’re using specialty beans that are on the higher end of the price spectrum, you want to ensure you’re getting the most out of each scoop.
4. What are the types of Coffee Scales?
There are two main types of coffee scales: mechanical and digital. Mechanical scales work just like a traditional kitchen scale: You add weight to a bowl until it tips a lever and rests on a dial. Digital scales have an electronic display that is more precise than the mechanical version and can also measure time elapsed during brewing.
5. What size should it be?
The size will vary from person to person, but we recommend something that’s at least 5 by 5 inches. If you plan on doing pour overs for large groups of people, then you may want to go even bigger, such as 12 by 12 inches or bigger, is good for brewing large amounts of coffee, more than 6 cups at once and will work well at work or in commercial settings.
A coffee scale is a great way to make sure your coffee is consistent, whether you’re brewing at home or in a coffee shop. We’ve reviewed the best coffee scales above, and we encourage you to consider what features are most important to you.
When it comes to ease of use, weight capacity and accuracy, the Ozeri drip coffee scale is the best choice overall. If you’re looking for something with more features.